Friday 2 July 2010

Strangers in our town

They're not like us, are they? Tennis fans that is. I've often thought this, but never felt compelled to say anything about it until I saw that the term for the response of a certain group of people to the appearance of the British no.1 on a tennis court is called 'Andymonium' (see for example http://andymonium.com/archives.html). That it is a Friday afternoon may also have something to do with it.

Obviously I appreciate that Andymonium was in all probability thought up in a Sun editorial meeting. However, it only works because we can mentally associate it with people whose response when a ball girl is hit by a 180mph 1st serve is "ooh, do you think she's alright?" rather than "HA! HA! HA! DID YOU SEE THAT?" The sort of people who are filmed in the crowd at Centre Court whispering behind their hands to their neighbouring chums. The sort of people who have soft toys on the parcel shelves of their Citroen Xsaras. And that's just the boys.

I'll be mentally cheering Andy Murray on as he takes on the mighty Nadal this afternoon (Nadoration anyone?) It's just that I won't be literally cheering him on. And I won't be wrapping a Union Flag around my shoulders or wearing a baseball cap that says "Come on Andy" and has integral fizzy pop holders.

No comments:

Post a Comment